Occupational Safety & Health Coordinating Secretary
Cde Mpho Makgasa
Occupational health and safety, put in other words means health and safety in workplace. It affects workers in their work place. Occupational health and safety is a vitally important factor which must be incorporated in the management of any organization or work place. The factors of health and safety arise from the fact that every workplace has risks that arise from its structures, infrastructures and activities. Teachers are exposed to risks of contracting diseases some of which are chronic and injuries some of which are very serious. Chronic diseases can lead to a worker being relieved of his/ her duty and eventually to death. In both these cases there is lied of income on the family of the affected worker. There is also loss of membership in the case of a workers union.
- ENSURES HEALTH AND SAFETY
On account of the above scenario, it is important that the management of the employer must take deliberate and practical steps to ensure that the management of the employer must take deliberate and practical steps to ensure the health and safety of workers in the workplace. This will protect workers from accidents, ill health and harm. This will in turn protect the successful future and prosperity of the Botswana Teachers union as an entity. The BTU will be assured of a healthy, safe and vibrant membership.
- PECULIAR RISKS
Every workplace, industry or profession has risks that are peculiar to it. The teaching profession has such risks. Examples
- falling objects
- Physical Assaults
- Accidents while accompanying students
- BTU OHS office must make sure that the employer take all necessary measures to ensure that the work place is healthy and safe from all possible risks of illness and injuries.
- The employer must ensure that there is a health and safety policy at work place
- Teachers themselves must avoid putting themselves at risk of contacting diseases and getting injured.
- BTU must, through its OHS office educate its members on OHS issues.
- One of OHS office goals is to ensure that by 2019 at-least 50% of public schools use white boards instead chalkboards.
- OHS COMMITTEE IS AS FOLLOWS
- Kefilwe Rankgate
- Kgomotso Molebatsi
- Gaone Nthoiwa
- Innocent Puso
- Mmoloki Mojafhi
- Kenearth Lonkokile
- Daniel Cruz Nelson
OHS COMMITTEE TRAINING
BTU WELLNESS DAY 2018